This recipe is so delicious and fun to make! I feel like every fall I am overwhelmed with squash and pumpkins to use up. Sometimes I have a hard time deviating from the deliciousness of roasted squash, so this recipe is a great way to try something new and use up a larger squash that would be hard to consume roasted in one sitting. You will need a blender, immersion blender, or food processor. You can also use a nutribullet, but will have to blend in increments and combine after. I hope you enjoy!
- 1 large butternut squash, halved and seeds removed
- 1 tbsp+ olive oil
- ½ cup chopped shallot or red onion (shallot is best, but living rural all that I could get was red onion…)
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3-4 cups of broth (I used chicken broth, but feel free to use whichever is your preference)
- 1-2 tbsp of butter, to taste
- 1-2 scoops of ChagaNOW (Birch Boys’ instant chaga extract powder)
- Preheat the oven to 425 and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Rub a light coating of olive oil onto the halved squash. Then add 1 tbsp of maple syrup to the concave part. Sprinkle it with salt and pepper.
- Roast your squash cut-side up. The time it needs will vary depending on the size of your squash. It will take anywhere from 40 minutes to over an hour. You’ll know your squash is ready when you can pierce through it with a fork with little to no resistance.
- In a skillet or soup pot, heat a splash of olive oil until shimmering. Then add the chopped shallot/red onion and salt. Cook until they start to render (get translucent) which will take about 3 minutes. Then add the minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the cooked onions and garlic to your blender. Scoop the flesh out of the squash and add this to the blender as well. Compost the tough skin of the squash. Add the broth (3 cups for a thicker soup, 4 cups for a thinner soup), butter, salt, pepper, nutmeg, 1 tbsp of maple syrup and 1-2 scoops of ChagaNOW
- Blend on high until the soup looks creamy and delicious
- If your soup is still warm, go ahead and serve! If it has cooled, you can add it back into the pot to heat up. Enjoy!
Estimated Nutritional Information Per Serving
Calories: 91 | Fat Content: 5g | Carbohydrate Content: 9.1g | Protein Content: 2.7g | Sodium Content: 785mg | Fiber Content: 0.4g | Sugar Content: 6.9g